Infidelity is often a black-and-white situation, especially in the social media discourse. I’m joined by Dr. Sarah Schewitz, a psychologist specializing in couples therapy, to talk about the gray area and what it’s like to rebuild trust in a relationship after betrayal.
Dr. Sarah breaks down the steps to get back to a place of vulnerability and intimacy, and shares her top strategies for dealing with resentment. We discuss the factors that tend to support a couple’s success after infidelity and advice for anyone who is supporting a loved one through a tumultuous time in their relationship. We also touch on generational trauma and ways to treat unhealthy attachment styles.
IN THIS EPISODE, WE TALK ABOUT:
- Dr. Sarah’s thoughts on the ‘once a cheater, always a cheater’ trope
- Signs that a betrayed partner is healing
- Creating boundaries around your safety
- What to do in a relationship if one of the individuals has experienced infidelity in the past
- The efficacy of somatic therapy and EMDR techniques
- Why it’s so important to be selective about what details you share with others about your relationship
- Sign up for my new mini-course called Money Metrics and use code LIVPOD at checkout: courses.dearliv.com
CONNECT WITH DR. SARAH
Follow Couples Learn on Instagram: @coupleslearn
Connect with Sarah on LinkedIn: Dr. Sarah Schewitz
Check out Couples Learn: coupleslearn.com
CONNECT WITH JEANETTE
Follow Dear Liv: @dearliv.app
Follow Jeanette: @ms.jeanetteschneider
Download the Dear Liv App!